Thursday, April 29, 2010

Montana- A Land of Contrast

It's been a week of training for me that is not required for Larry. On Monday and Tuesday, he explored the loop ride that we have previously attempted in sections. On Monday, he rode as far as the boundary of the Deerlodge National Forest. On Tuesday, he decided to start in the opposite direction and completed the entire loop through a portion of the NFS lands. The route turned out to be farther than he thought, a total of 32 miles with 3,000' of climbing.
Since he will not accept my "invitations" to comment on his pics, I will again be speaking for him!

I found the loop in "reverse" to be easier than the direction Mary and I have gone before. Starting on the north side required a long climb, mostly on a dirt road with protruding rocks and loose gravel. Mary had a lot of difficulty on the climb because her back tire would spin whenever she stood in order to get up the steepest portions. Sitting in the saddle and spinning makes her heart rate go too high. That's the only limitation the cardiologist has given her on aerobic activity. We are hoping the southern direction with a smoother road surface and a more gradual climb will be better for her. The rough part will then be all downhill.

It's really pretty up here and the day is partly cloudy with a fairly calm wind...at least for now.

These are just a few views along Boulder Road.



This is where I make a left turn on Emory Springs Road. This will become the NFS road.


Looks like bike riding isn't the only activity around here!



Even the signs are convenient targets. I hope I don't become one!


Looks like the log company is still cutting "standing dead" out, but no one appears to be working today.


I've climbed above 6,000' and found the snow line.



It's been a long climb and I'm a little tired. Maybe I should take a break.


Nothing like a pile of snow to reve up the ol' engine!


I guess I had better head back. It's about time for my lunch stop at McDonalds...probably 18 miles from here. Good thing a lot of it is downhill.


One of the scattered ranches on the downhill side.


Hey, would you look at that...a genuine, Montana rest stop!

Complete with a place for target practice. I guess some people just can't get enough.


The local prospector told me that there are old, gold mines up here and placer gold can still be found in the cold water of streams running down the mountain.


Hey, this one even has a number. I'll be back with my pan when it warms up a little.


Had my $1.00 cheeseburger and iced tea. Feelin' good. Maybe I'll stop by the ranch to see Mary since it's on the way.


Yep, she was glad to see me in the distance and came a-runnin'.


Wednesday
We won't be calving here at the ranch for a couple weeks. However, our neighbors at the Rock Creek Cattle Company were out today where the properties meet. I happened to be in the area working on the irrigation and took a few pictures of their "big-time" operation.



Yep, there are still real, working cowboys...and cowgirls.




As the sun sinks in the west, I bid you adieu.


Thursday - A snowy trip to the Big Hole Battlefield Historic Site
Part of our training involves observing interpretive guides at other NPS facilities. Today, we traveled about 200 miles rt to Wisdom, MT to visit the Big Hole site which is one of several parts of the Nez Perse National Historic Site.
The weather was not that great, snow and lots of wind.
At the visitor's center, we were met by the park superintendent and two of the site's interpretive rangers. We had their complete attention since (for some reason) no other visitors were there. We viewed a powerful video presenting the heartbreaking story of what happened here in the late 1,800's. (I will be coming back later in the summer and will include more information at that time.) In short, about 200 Nez Perse indians, mostly women and children, were heartlessly slaughtered by a group of white soldiers and citizens.

Not all of our group wanted to brave the elements to visit the outdoor portion of the site. As it was, we elected to travel only the shortest of three trails leading that led to a bluff where the attack on the sleeping tribes was initiated.

We drove to a lower parking lot from the visitor's center stationed on a high bluff overlooking the sacred area.
L-R Ranger- Julie (my boss); Seasonal Rangers -Carmen , Ken and Dustin; fellow volunteer - Janet and our host ranger - Leslie, at the beginning of the trail.


We climbed the trail partway up the mountain side to the place the troops used as their staging area.
Far in the distance through the snow, you can see tipi pole structures restored in their historic locations. It is a sacred place since many people, both indian and white died and were buried here in unmarked graves.


Again, through the snow, on the horizon, is the shadowy form of the visitor's center.


Two years after the event, this granite monument was placed on the side of the hill to honor the white soldiers and citizens who died.
100+ years later, the descendents of the Nez Perse are working with the NPS to continue to share the story of this terrible tragedy involving both our history and theirs. Since the visitor's center is being remodeled, the goal is to provide information in a way that clearly tells the story from the perspective of both sides involved. After this visit, I am so thankful that, in part, people of our nation have come to understand that the fictionalized, movie/tv impressions we all watched are not an accurate accounting of what happened to thousands of "the people" driven from lands they had occupied for generations and often murdered when they tried to defend their families and heritage. The reason - greed. Please notice that I said "in part."


We did survive the cold hike and felt what we learned was worth a little discomfort.
We left the park and traveled a short distance back to Wisdom for lunch at a small restaurant. When we walked in and said there were eight of us, this lady (Joanie) got the biggest smile. I think it's the most money she's made all week!


Until next time....

1 comment:

  1. Seeing that loooong cash register receipt, it looks like you all gave her a lot of business!

    ReplyDelete