This place is so huge and has over 80 buildings, so it's been difficult to decide how to introduce Grant-Kohrs Ranch to all of you. I decided one way might be for me to pick a spot to eat my lunch each day and let you see what surrounds me. Of course, there are days when I don't really get lunch because we are busy, so don't count on it being an every-work-day thing!
On Tax Day, I chose a picnic table in the farm yard to the West of the ranch house. What you see in the picture above is the Chuck Wagon used for demonstrations of how the cowboys got their meals during times they were moving the cattle to and from different locations. This wagon is actually a replica built from parts of various other real wagons. Ken, a seasonal ranger, is "cook" who shares his story with the visitors. He used to actually cook beans and rice and make coffee to the visitors to sample. Unfortunately, some administrative person decided someone might get sick and sue G-K, so now Ken just talks about the food. (sigh)
As I look to the right from my lunch table, I can see the little, play area where the guys have made some cows and horses for the kids. The building with the red door houses a DVD system that plays a continuous loop program during the summer months.
Further to the right you can see the corner of a small, white wagon shed that houses some of the numerous cart, wagons, sulkeys and other wheeled things preserved at the ranch.The fenced area is part of the large pasture area for our team of Belgian horses, Duke and Duchess. Beyond the fence are pastures and other building I have yet to explore. On the right closest to the fence is the ice house. I'll get closer to it another time and tell you about it then.
To my left, the red building was the Thoroughbred Horse barn. Now it is home to many of the family's carriages and wagons.
As you look down the lane running alongside, the white building was one of several used to house the stallions. It was necessary to keep them separate to avoid fighting. In the distance is my next lunchtime destination.
Last, but not least, behind me is the rear of the ranch house. You can see that this is no ordinary "ranch" house as typically seen in the old movies. I'll share its story at another time. In the meantime, imagine sitting on that back porch to watch the afternoon sun slide below the western horizon.
This would be a portion of your view from there.
No comments:
Post a Comment