Sunday, May 9, 2010

A Mother's Day Event

The first calf of the season has arrived...on Mother's Day!
Larry checked the herd this morning and everything was as usual. When he went to the pasture to feed the cows this afternoon, there was an extra, little creature.


Happy Birthday, little one!


Carmen and Ken are two of my fellow interpreters. Ken is a retired elementary teacher and Carmen retired two years ago from the Charlotte, NC - PD where she served in the Crime Task Force, Special Unit. (We give her a LOT of respect. Actually, she's is a terrific person and lot of fun.) This Mother's Day, Ken and Carmen got to share chuck wagon duty. I get my first crack at it next Saturday!


Our weather is still "ever-changing." In Ohio, we always talk about "if you don't like the weather, wait fifteen minutes and it will change." That's somewhat of an exaggeration in Ohio...not in Deer Lodge Valley!
This afternoon, I was down by the chuck wagon where Ken was teaching Carmen and I the proper technique for using the lariat. The sun was out and there were only a few clouds above us. Suddenly, Carmen said, "Look over there, it's snowing!" At first, I thought maybe Ken had put something into the fire-brewed coffee we were drinking. Then I looked in the direction she was pointing. There, about fifty feet away across the grass, snow was indeed falling, confined to about a 25' diameter area. Just as quickly as it appeared, it was gone. Above the space was only the blue sky, Very strange.
Here are a few other interesting shots I took around the ranch today.




Some of our ranch saddle horses enjoying the new grass after yesterday's showers.



This is Fox, one of the quarter horses.



After work, Larry took me out to eat at the 4 B's restaurant for Mother's Day. Back at our "ranch," we took a walk along the abandoned railroad and I caught this late evening shot across the Stewart pasture at the ranch.


It is now our "weekend" and we are hoping the weather will finally start to cooperate with our hiking and biking plans. It's hard to believe that we have now been here 6 weeks without being able to go on any trails.

No comments:

Post a Comment